The St Andrews Bike Pool is all about getting more people cycling in St Andrews. As a community group we are open to university students, staff and local residents.
There are four key areas to this project:
1) We support people to become self-sufficient at fixing and maintaining bikes.
2) We refurbish abandoned/donated bicycles to stop them from going to landfill.
3) We rent out bikes and suppport people with upkeep. This also helps reduce the number of bikes getting abandoned.
4) We promote cycling in St Andrews as a healthy and greener way of travelling. We organise led rides, cycle training and inform the St Andrews Bike User Group with ideas to improve cycling infrastructure.
How to Get Involved
Rent a Bike
- Have a look at our prices and bikes on MyTurn.
- Creat your own account.
- Attend a big rental event to hire a bike.
- If there is no rental event, visit us on Thursdays, 11-2pm at 7 Woodburn Place.
- Email/Call us for more information on the Thursday sessions.
Bike Pool Fix It Sessions
Bikes treated with love are always the best to cycle!
- Attend a pop-up Fix It Session. Events are listed below. They are always 5-6.30pm.
- All bikes are welcome.
- The checkover is free. To buy new parts costs, please bring cash.
You don’t need to experienced, just enthusiastic and willing to learn!
- Volunteer on Thursdays, 11-2pm at 7 Woodburn Place, KY16 8LA.
- Or at the Bike Pool Fix It Sessions. You can sign up for these on here.
- For more updates head see our facebook group.
Learn to Fix Bikes
Each year we train up to 15 people to be competent bike mechanics. Some even up to the level of Silver Velotech.
Learn the basics now for £15. Sign up for the next course 23/02/20.
Get £5 off when you help out at our Bikepool Fix it sessions.
Velotech courses are more advanced and costly. If you prove to be dedicated enough, we can help fund this for you. Just ask!
Learn to Cycle
Want to feel more confident on your bike, developing your bike handling skills – we offer courses to increase cycling proficiency.
Even if you have never been a cyclist before, contact us and we can organise a session.
These lesson plans are based on the nation-wide cycle training programme Bikeability. They are run through the training provider, Cycling Scotland
Join a Led Ride
Cycling on the roads is all about confidence. Our led rides are there to help you gain that confidence!
We have organised led rides as far as Tentsmuir. Contact us to ask about these!
Get in Touch
Bike Pool is one of our biggest projects so we have a few folk all working on it. Check out our facebook group or email the team.