The St Andrews Bike Pool is all about getting more people cycling in St Andrews. As a community group we are open to university students, staff and local residents.
There are four key areas to this project:
1) We support people to become self-sufficient at fixing and maintaining bikes.
2) We refurbish abandoned/donated bicycles to stop them from going to landfill.
3) We rent out bikes and suppport people with upkeep. This also helps reduce the number of bikes getting abandoned.
4) We promote cycling in St Andrews as a healthy and greener way of travelling. We organise led rides, cycle training and inform the St Andrews Bike User Group with ideas to improve cycling infrastructure.
How to Get Involved
Rent a Bike
This September, due to COVID, we are moving our bike rentals wholly online through MyTurn
- Please read and follow the instructions on MyTurn carefully
- You need to create your own account and verfiy it first
- Browse through the available bikes
- Refer to the frame size guide to select a suitable one
- Remember to specify in the NOTES your preferred collection point
- Any problems email firstname.lastname@example.org
Bike Pool Fix It Sessions
Bikes treated with love are always the best to cycle!
- Attend a pop-up Fix It Session. Events are listed below. They are always 5-6.30pm.
- All bikes are welcome.
- The checkover is free. To buy new parts costs, please bring cash.
- All sessions supported by bike mechanics and volunteers
You don’t need to be experienced, just enthusiastic and willing to learn! All training can be provided
- For bike fixing – Thursdays, 11-2pm at 7 Woodburn Place, KY16 8LA.
- Help out and learn on the job at our Weekly Bike Pool Fix It Sessions.
- Or sign up to take local led rides
- Sign up below or email: email@example.com if you have any questions
Learn to Fix Bikes
Each year we train up to 15 people to be competent bike mechanics. Some even up to the level of Silver Velotech.
Learn the basics now for £15. Sign up for the next course 23/02/20.
Get £5 off when you help out at our Bikepool Fix it sessions.
Velotech courses are more advanced and costly. If you prove to be dedicated enough, we can help fund this for you. Just ask!
Learn to Cycle
Want to feel more confident on your bike, developing your bike handling skills – we offer courses to increase cycling proficiency.
Even if you have never been a cyclist before, contact us and we can organise a session.
These lesson plans are based on the nation-wide cycle training programme Bikeability. They are run through the training provider, Cycling Scotland
Join a Led Ride
Cycling on the roads is all about confidence. Our led rides are there to help you gain that confidence!
We have organised led rides as far as Tentsmuir. Contact us to ask about these!
Get in Touch
Bike Pool is one of our biggest projects so we have a few folk all working on it. Check out our facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/standrewsbikedoctor/ or if you have any questions email firstname.lastname@example.org