What is ToolShare?
The St Andrews ToolShare is a community group that welcomes students and staff of the university and local residents. It is based at The Kernel at St Andrews Botanic Garden.
It aims to build a stronger, safer and more stable community through the following three areas:
1. Lending tools
2. Educating community members on proper use and maintenance
3. Empowering neighbours to maintain and improve their properties.
How does it work?
ToolShare works just like a library! You can borrow tools and equipment instead of having to buy them. You can loan out tools for up to two weeks.
It costs £15 to join (or the donation of a tool) and this can be purchased through the MyTurn website: (https://transitionusta.myturn.com/library/). You can view and reserve tools online, but need to bring photo ID to your first tool collection to have your account validated.
If you would like to find out more about the Toolshare project, or get involved, please email Winks at email@example.com or Transition at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuesday 10am – 12pm
Wednesday 12pm – 2pm
Sunday 12pm – 2pm
*More times will be announced as more volunteers get involved.
The Legal Bit
Before borrowing tools, all members must abide by the following agreement:
Tool Library Borrower’s Agreement & Tool Use Policy
1. Members must be aged 18 or over to borrow tools from Transition University of St Andrews Tool Library.
2. Prior to borrowing tools, all Members must (a) agree to our Borrowers Agreement and Tool Use Policy and provide Membership Details; (b) sign the Waiver Form; (c) verify their identity. Verifications of the Member’s identity is accomplished by presenting a valid photo ID and a second form of identification that includes a current address dated within the last three months.
3. We will keep your name, address and email as a registered member on our database so that you can be contacted regarding any important decisions or changes in the organisation. For more information please see our Transition constitution.
4. By taking possession of an item, the Member is certifying that they capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner. Transition University of St Andrews accepts no responsibility for demonstrating usage.
5. Only the Member is authorised to use Transition University of St Andrews tools. The Member shall not permit the use of items checked out to him or her by any other person unless by the express permission of staff of Transition University of St Andrews.
6. All tools borrowed are to be returned to Transition University of St Andrews by close of business on their due date. Tools may only be returned during opening hours.
7. If a tool is returned late, the Member will be responsible for a late fee. This late fee will be £1 per working day the tool is not returned after its due date. Transition University of St Andrews may replace severely damaged tools, holding the Member responsible for the full replacement cost. Fines must be paid in full before borrowing additional items. Fines will be no more than the cost price of the tool if bought new.
8. Transition University of St Andrews reserves the right to use appropriate steps to retrieve damaged tools or unpaid fines and fees, including the use of legal action and assess the damaged Member with the cost of any such action. Transition University of St Andrews also reserves the right to forgive fees due to special circumstances.
9. Tools may be reserved through a Member’s Myturn account or by contacting Transition University of St Andrews. All reservations must be confirmed by a Transition University of St Andrews staff member, volunteer, or automated response to be effective. Transition University of St Andrews reserves the right to make an exception to this policy.
10. Members may renew each tool a maximum of two times if (a) the Member either contacts Transition University of St Andrews or renews via Myturn the day before that the tool is due, and (b) no other Member has reserved the tool. Transition University of St Andrews reserves the right to refuse or limit renewals and will do so based on demand.
11. The Member agrees that Transition University of St Andrews is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed tools.
12. The Member agrees that if any borrowed tool becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, he or she must immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify Transition University of St Andrews of the issue on return, if not earlier.
13. All tools are to be returned in the same (or better) condition as they were issued, barring normal wear and tear. All tools must be returned clean. The Member agrees to pay for the loss of or damage to any item and further agrees to accept Transition University of St Andrews’s assessment of condition of items and to further agree to the Transition University of St Andrews’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency, and/or loss of items in part or in total. This restitution amount could equal the full replacement cost of the item.
14. Transition University of St Andrews reserves the right to refuse the loan of any item at its discretion.
15. The Member must present both their membership card and a valid photo ID every time they come to collect tools or the loan will be refused.
16. Membership is valid for one calendar year.
17. We will automatically register you to our monthly newsletter email list which you can opt out of.
18. Reserved items which are not collected on the day the reservation was set for will automatically be cancelled. If you are unable to come the day you reserved the items from please contact staff to change the dates of the reservation to avoid disappointment.
I hereby sign this Liability Waiver Form, relinquishing any and all claims against Transition University of St Andrews, its Board, employees and volunteers.
· I affirm that any membership information provided to Transition University of St Andrews is current, true and correct and consent to any verification deemed necessary.
· I hereby for myself, on behalf of my successors and assigns, in consideration of being permitted to borrow tools, agree to release and indemnify and hold harmless Transition University of St Andrews, its Board, employees and volunteers any and all liability, loss, claims, and demands, actions or causes of action for the death or injury to any persons and for any property damage suffered or incurred by any person which arises or may arise or be occasioned in any way from the use of tools I am borrowing from Transition University of St Andrews. I am aware Transition University of St Andrews, its partners, directors, employees, members, and volunteers claim no expertise and make no representation concerning the fitness of any tool for any particular use.
· I do hereby for myself, on behalf of my successors and assigns, in consideration of being permitted to borrow tools, waive any and all claims against Transition University of St Andrews, its Board, employees and volunteers for any injury or injuries of any nature that I may suffer or incur in the use of the tools that I am borrowing from Transition University of St Andrews.
· I state that I will use whatever protective equipment is appropriate for the tools I am borrowing.
· I state that I am capable of using the tools I am borrowing, knowing how to use them, and that I will use the tools I am borrowing in a proper manner.
The tools in our collection are for the use of Transition University of St Andrews Tool Library members. As per the Borrowers agreement and Tool Use Policy, borrowers are responsible for any damage they have caused. Members must also agree to the following statements:
I state that I have read and fully understand the rules and regulations of the Borrower’s Agreement and Tool Use Policy, and I understand that failure to comply with any of these rules may result in revocation of my borrowing privileges and/or legal action against me. I have read and signed a liability waiver form, relinquishing any and all claims against Transition University of St Andrews.
Please make sure you have signed below acknowledging that you have read and agree to Transition University of St Andrews’s Borrower’s Agreement and Tool Use Policy.