Finding Homes for Pre-Loved Items:
St AndRe-Use collects and redistributes items within the St Andrews Community.
In 2013-14 we collected nearly 1000kg of reusable items which were given new homes by over 700 students in St Andrews.
In 2014-15 we collected over 5000kg of items which were distributed to nearly 1000 students!
In 2016 we collected over 1800kg of items which were distributed to roughly 700 students in St Andrews. This number gives some idea of the scale of work but not the value to the people involved so this year we asked everyone attending the big giveaway for their thoughts and was impressed by the results. They valued the goods they picked up as being worth £35 on average making the whole giveaway worth around £25000 based on the 700 people taking part. That’s not bad for a free event!
What we do?
At the end of the academic year we set up collection points in all the different halls of residence for leaving students to donate old belongings rather than send them to landfill. With thousands of students leaving at the same time this process can be a manic two weeks of work!
Along with an amazingly supportive group of volunteers all these items are then sorted and stored away. Part of it goes to supporting charity groups around Fife with the St Andrews Environment Group leading this. Much of the clothing goes towards supporting Dundee the Caring City, a refugee action group that distributes clothes all around Europe. The bulk of the stuff however is kept till the beginning of the following semester when we run giveaway sessions, mainly for students. Most items are taken on a pay-as-you-feel basis with only certain clothes costing a fixed price. The money raised goes back into building the project and helping St Andrews town and Uni become zero waste.
In the next couple years we aim to host more pop up giveaways around town and see St AndReUse have a greater all year round presence. If this project sounds like something that’s up your alley, check out our St AndReUse Facebook Page.
What do we collect?
We are happy to collect the following:
- all kitchenware items (pans, glassware, cutlery, crockery).
- smaller household goods (mirrors, storage boxes, coathangers)
- small working electrical items (blenders, hairdryers, kettles)
- stationery (ringbinders, holepunches, staplers, working pens, paper)
- Books and Media (CDS, DVDS, games) – Goes to Barnardos.
- Food which is mostly unopened and non-perishable. This goes towards supporting Storehouse, St Andrews’ local foodbank.
- Miscelleanous goods (in the past these have included tents, a kayak paddle, champagne coolers, bicycle pumps and the two cuties below).
- Clothes, Shoes and Bedding. Sadly we don’t take much in the way of pillows and duvets though.
If you have any of these items and you’d like to move them on then get in touch at email@example.com, PM the StAnd Re-Use Coordinator, or drop it off at 7 Woodburn Place. For those not in halls you can get a collection of stuff by our partners at StAndEN, email us for more info.
We all find it easier to re-home quality items so we also offer advice on how best to maintain your items. You can check out hints and tips on our Pinterest page or by looking out for blogposts on this site.